Heading north on the Byway is a hamlet known as the Lower Village. The Lower Village historically had manufacturing – most recently, it was previously home to a snowshoe factory. It was here that the first post office opened in 1816, the first tannery was built, and where stores from Stowe Village moved.
Today, this gateway to the Town of Stowe is alive with restaurants, offices, inns, and residences. Remnants of Stowe’s architectural history comingle with modern development.